TOTAL NEWSROOM TRAINING
This is your newsroom’s opportunity to have intense, in-house investigative training — for free. After a successful first year, IRE is bringing back its popular Total Newsroom Training program. If your news organization is hungry for customized investigative training and can't afford it, apply today.
**We are no longer accepting applications for the 2014 program.**
What TNT from IRE offers
Total Newsroom Training is designed to increase the ability of your news organization to provide watchdog and enterprise coverage for your community and to produce work that can lead to changes and improvements in those communities.
For two days we provide custom training in your newsroom, based on the needs of your organization. We’ll provide hands-on training using Microsoft Excel and Access for spreadsheet and data analysis, as well as other database management software. TNT presentations and discussions may include:
IRE works with reporters and editors to help them launch stories and projects. This can involve brainstorming, story planning, sourcing, etc. We will also be available to consult with reporters, editors and producers from the news organizations in the months following training.
To apply, complete this form by the end of the day March 5, 2014. We want to ensure that we work with news organizations that not only desire to do better work, but are committed to the effort. The application process requires the following information:
- An explanation from the executive editor or news director demonstrating his or her commitment to doing more in-depth work and a commitment to freeing staff to attend the training
- Three examples of what the applicant believes is the organization’s best work from the past year
- Three possible story/project/subject ideas you'd like to tackle
- Please include the number of staff who will be attending the training
- Please include your circulation size or market number
The program is meant to help small to medium-size news organizations improve the depth of their coverage, and is open to organizations meeting the following criteria:
- For newspapers and magazines, circulation of 100,000 and below
- For broadcast, markets below the Top 20
- For online-only organizations, sites with local or regional audiences
Share your work with us