PublicSource is an independent, nonprofit news group that focuses on original investigative reporting about critical issues facing Pittsburgh and the Western Pennsylvania region. It was launched to undertake in-depth reporting in the public interest.
We are looking for a full-time reporter with CAR experience to join our team. We are a small team, so you will need energy and passion for in-depth reporting, as well as an ability to find and translate data into stories.
Western Pennsylvania is a fascinating place to cover in-depth news. We are a swing state in the year of a Presidential election, the focal point of Marcellus Shale drilling and pipeline building in a state with few regulations for the industry, and a city of seven universities and three professional sports teams.
Qualities we are looking for:
Energy and passion for doing in-depth and investigative reporting.
- The interpersonal skills necessary to work collaboratively with fellow reporters in our newsroom and with newspaper, radio and television reporters who are our partners.
- Strong writing skills
- A demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
The ability to juggle long and short-term projects.
Experience acquiring and cleaning government and corporate data sets, and maintaining large databases. Constructing user-friendly database interfaces, especially for public websites, would be a plus.
- Digital storytelling and social media skills preferred.
- Experience working with Access, Excel (especially Pivot Tables), Wordpress, HTML, Flash, Photoshop and video and familiarity with AP style are desired.
- Ability to use best practices for Search Engine Optimization and Social Media to drive audience to our website is a plus.
Pittsburgh is a great place to live. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, four clips in a PDF format and a list of three references with their contact information to SWalsh@PublicSource.org.
Deadline: Aug. 23