Director of Data Services
Director of Data Services
The Investigative News Network (INN) is looking for an experienced data editor to help our nonprofit investigative member newsrooms produce compelling, in-depth investigative stories to help inform the public and keep the powerful accountable.
The Director of Data Services will identify, acquire and analyze data for multi newsroom collaborations and work closely with both member organizations and outside partners to create informative stories and news applications from those data sets.
In addition, the manager will:
- Identify sources, resources and technology to help carry out high quality investigative stories
- Perform analysis on datasets for INN and distribute appropriate data and data subsets for investigative stories to members
- Consult with INN members on data acquisition, analysis and presentation
- Work collaboratively with editors, producers, reporters, programmers and technical staff from organizations within the network and with outside media partners
- Develop and coordinate strategies, programs and techniques to increase the usage and impact of data-driven investigative and public interest content within the network
- Work with INN’s CEO and technical staff to develop strategies and programs for distributing and, wherever possible, monetizing databases and news applications to media and non-media clients.
- Document, publish and train newsrooms on best-practices in the identification, collection, analysis and production of data-driven journalism
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the CEO/Executive Director.
- Five years minimum experience in journalism
- Demonstrated ability to use a variety of software including spreadsheets, database managers, GIS programs, statistical software packages, social network analysis tools, and text mining software for investigative stories.
- Working knowledge of data visualization tools
- Strong editorial judgment and attention to detail in professional settings.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to interpret needs, objectives, and direction from multiple members and users.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present technical information to non-technical audiences
- Experience in journalism training
- Familiarity with technical issues around web development
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking under demanding deadlines
Background of Investigative News Network
The Investigative News Network (INN) is a collaboration of more than 60 nonprofit journalism organizations – large and small – doing investigative and public service journalism at the local, state, national and international levels. The Investigative News Network is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a fair and diverse workplace
The Network’s goals include:
- Providing resources and technologies that member organizations can leverage to meet their mission
- Fostering editorial collaborations that fulfill the potential of the Network and achieve the highest levels of impact
- Keeping its members abreast of each other’s work to identify potential collaborations in local, state, national and international investigative stories
- Providing start-up guidance and help to new organizations
- Providing shared administrative services, aiding in marketing and bringing the latest technology to its members
- Promoting and distributing content through syndication and partnerships
- Developing business models to support the members’ work on a long-term basis, to promote high journalistic standards and to assist members in developing sustainable business models.
Job Location: United States, some travel required
All qualified applicants should email a cover letter and resume to jobs@