Military/State Team Leader
The Virginian-Pilot is looking for an editor with energy, passion and skill to lead an award-winning team of five reporters covering the armed forces, Virginia government and the Hampton Roads congressional delegation. This team focuses on several subjects of vital interest to Pilot readers. These include the world’s largest Navy installation; veterans affairs; wartime readiness; decision-making on Capitol Hill that affects our region; and Virginia’s legislature and governor.
The team prides itself on powerful storytelling and on watchdog reporting that brings problems to light and holds public officials accountable. Our reporting exposed an influence-peddling scheme that landed a state lawmaker in federal prison. A series on a combat hospital in Afghanistan won the 2011 Scripps Howard Ernie Pyle Award. And a serial narrative on the early days of the Civil War was a hit with our history-loving audience.
Military knowledge is not essential. We're seeking someone who can shepherd breaking front-page stories without losing traction on major enterprise journalism. Someone who engages effectively with high-performing reporters, offering guidance without micro-managing. And someone with the editing chops to take stories from good to great to knockout.
- Superior editing skills.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Demonstrated organizational and time-management skills.
- Background in coverage of political, government or legislative issues.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least five (5) years of editing experience.
- At least 10 years of daily newspaper experience.
- Experience in military reporting or editing.
- Experience editing daily political and government coverage.
- Click on https://commsjobs.ats.
- If you have trouble with the link, go to www.thevirginianpilot.com/
mediacompanies and click on Search for Jobs.
- Click the link for Quick Job Search and enter job code 3101.
All job candidates must apply online; please do NOT send resumes by email.