Take advantage of the many benefits of joining IRE. Look up investigative journalists throughout the world or across your state. Join mailing lists that allow you to share reporting techniques or just share your thoughts.
- Apply to join online today!
- Download a form (PDF)
- Contact us to request a form by fax or mail, or to apply over the phone 573-882-2772.
Who is eligible?
Click Here to see our membership categories and fees.
Benefits of IRE Membership
Membership in IRE puts you in the company of the world's best reporters, editors and producers.
- A subscription to The IRE Journal. The quarterly magazine is packed with features about recent print, online and broadcast investigations, stories on journalism techniques and issues, reviews of books and Web sites, updates on training opportunities and news on fellow members. International members view the Journal electronically, or pay an additional $20 per year for mailing.
- Quick Hits is a biweekly electronic newsletter containing information about IRE programs, reporting tips and updates on members' activities in between issues of The IRE Journal. Click here to subscribe.
- Waived access fee to the IRE Resource Center and its 23,250 archived investigative stories.
- Online access to more than 3,000 reporter tipsheets produced by leading journalists from around the world.
- Waived access fee to purchase databases from the IRE and NICAR Database Library.
- $20 discount on a subscription to Uplink, NICAR's bimonthly newsletter about computer-assisted reporting written by top reporters around the country about how they used CAR to develop some of their investigative stories. Uplink contains information on changes in government data-access policies, and the recent transition of government agencies to providing data online, rather than in print format.
- Free job seekers board where members can anonymously post their qualifications, describe the job they want and invite employers to contact them.
- Member-only conferences, seminars, workshops and boot camps designed to fit your training needs.
- Optional listing on the Web site's International Directory of Investigative Journalists. Qualified members can also be listed on the Directory of Project & Investigative Editors
- Discounts on tapes and books, such as The Reporter's Handbook, Computer-Assisted Reporting: A Practical Guide and the IRE beat book series.
- Access to all members-only areas of the IRE Web site, plus access to all IRE Listservs.
- Connections to a network of more than 5,000 journalists dedicated to investigative reporting.
- Eligibility to enter the annual IRE Awards, the nation's top investigative journalism contest.
- IRE members-only discounts on GuideStar Premium (www.guidestar.org), providing full access to data on more than 1.5 million U.S. nonprofits.